Tuesday, 30 March 2010

My facial sprays & toners! Avene, MAC, Neals Yard...

It's getting a bit warmer in the UK and I find that I am reaching more for my facial sprays.  I have an easy access basket for my most used products, and a facial spray is always in there.  In winter my face can become a victim of the harsh changes in temperature- cold outdoor, dry centrally heated indoors.  In the summer the heat dries it out and can make me uncomfortably hot!

People seem to forget that being near electronic equipment (hairdryers, straighteners, televisions, photocopiers, computers etc) can have a drying effect too as they dry the moisture droplets out of the air.  This is one of the factors that can create static electricity- cue frizzy hair!!  For this reason I always keep a spray in my desk drawer- although I never spray it near the computer!! (They tend to go *BANG* if you feed them liquid).


These are the three I currently have to hand.  If you want a more detailed review on any of the items, please ask.  This is just an overview.

1) Avene Eau Thermal
Just a plain spray can full of Thermal Spring Water which contains small amounts of natural minerals.  It has many uses including setting make-up, soothing diaper rash, refreshing and cleansing.  Suitable for sensitive, hypersensitive and allergic skin.  I have been faithfully using this product for 6 years.  Retails for around £5.50 for 150ml from Boots.

2) MAC Fix +
A spray containing some vitamins and traces of Green Tea, Camomile and Cucumber.  Scented with Sugi (Japanese Cedar wood- thanks google!)  Some sensitive skins may not like this scented spray.  Advertised to add radiance and finish make-up, although I know you can mix it with MAC Cleanse off Oil to create a lotion.  Retails for £11 for 100ml at Selfridges.

3) Neal's Yard Lavender Foral Water
I picked this up in a store, although I can't see it on the website so I think it may be discontinued.  Lavender has soothing and antiseptic properties, which is great for my problem skin.  I use this as a spray toner, and to refresh my face is I feel tired.

Neal's Yard Rose Water (not pictured)
Great to help balance and refresh your face.  Is suitable for sensitive skin.  I have run out of mine but you can see it at http://www.nealsyardremedies.com
Retails for around £9.50 100ml at Neal's Yard


As you can see, MAC comes out the most expensive of this lot.  I don't use it everyday, but I'm going though a MAC Fix + Rose phase again at the moment (MAC Fix + but perfumed with a light floral fragrance!)


How I use my facial sprays:
This sounds silly, but don't forget to close your mouth and eyes!

TONER.  I cleanse, wait for 5 minutes, spritz 3 or 4 times and pat my face gently with clean dry hands.  I then let this settle for a few minutes before applying moisturiser.

TO SET MAKE-UP.  I hold the spray further away so I end up with a light even dusting on my face.  normally 2 or 3 sprays are enough.  I do not pat this in, but I always have a tissue handy to gently blot any large droplets.  If the spray is too heavy to be applied directly then I spray it across the space in front of my face and walk into the mist!

The only one I will spray heavily on the face and body is Avene- great if you are traveling or doing sport and can't wash.  Also it is free from bacteria, which is better than most service station sinks!


You don't need to buy expensive premade toners and sprays though.  Stay tuned and I will share with you one of the recipes I use for a home made toner/facial spray!  I will also be looking into toners.


Do you use a facial spray or make-up setting spray?  Do you have any of these, or can you recommend one?

7 comments:

  1. very informative post :) I love Mac's Fix Plus! I hated it at first for some reason but now love using it to set my makeup or spray a bit on my hair when its frizzy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must be lucky weather wise. It's raining cats and dogs here today. No need for a face spray here - the rain sprayed my face enough! Tee hee
    Will keep these in mind when the weather gets better up here.
    E x

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Get Gawjus Glad you liked the post! Sometimes it takes a number of used to get a feel of a product. x

    @Eliza No, it's ben raining all day here :( but my computer has dried my skin out :( Still nice to have a spray to hand in the summer x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely review! I have the Avene one, but I rarely use any facial sprays. I still need to get used to spraying water directly at my face. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow u have homemade recipe??cant wait!hehe
    nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! I haven't boughr Fix+ yet, I went to a CCO on Saturday in hopes to find some, no luck, I suppose I can just pay full price for it @ MAC, haha

    Can't wait for your upcoming post on a homemade toner!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Princess Livia Thank you! Yes I always flinch when the spray hits my skin, even though I know it is comming!! x

    @Vanilla It might b slightly borrowed, but I do somtimes make my own spray! Thanks x

    @J-Ezzy Thank you. I guess it just has to be being in the right place at the right time. I dont live near a CCO. I think it will last long time, but there are cheaper ones, just depends on what you want out of it. x

    ReplyDelete

Messages make me smile! Please share some smiles with me! :)

Other posts you might like.....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...