Saturday, 19 June 2010

Blackhead strips: Review/comparison

Blackheads, we all hate them.  Why, just...why? Why do they appear? Why are they so stubborn?  Why do they fill up and then turn black so that everyone can see them? (Rant over!)

Sometimes a good scrub is enough to dislodge the dirt, sometimes we need extra help.

I have a routine, its not 100% effective, but I am seeing positive results.  As part of that routine, I sometimes reach for these nose and face strips.  They are like a piece of sellotape that sticks to the black head and pulls it out of the open pore.  That is the theory at least!

I have used the Ponds strips (a few years back), Boire ones and Superdrugs own brand 'Clarity'.

How to use: Cleanse your face, pat dry, wet the desired area with plain water, then apply the strip smooth side down, pat down, wait for 10-15 minutes (till dry) and then peel off carefully.  If this is difficult or painful, you can use a damp flannel to moisten the strip again (but not too much or it won't work!).  Do not use more than once every three days, or you will over exfoliate the top layer of skin.

Tip: If you use warm-hot water on your face before applying the strips, this will open up the pores and allow the strips to grab/loosen more of the dirt!

Tip 2: Cut them in half to target areas.

Boire

They say: Deep cleansing, unclogs and invigorates
Value for money? 6 strips in a box. Costs around £7 from a highstreet chemist in the UK 
Extras: Contains tea tree, menthol, witch hazel.
VERDICT: Smooth, easy to use, dries hard and really sticks if left on for 20-30 minutes in my case.  I can see the blackheads on the strip when peeled off- even the little ones.  Great but yuck!  They don't get all of them out, but some blackheas are subborn and require more treatment.   They come in different sizes for face and nose, but sadly not in the same box :( Bad point, the price.  At over £1 per strip, I am not in a hurry to use every three days.

Superdrug Clarity Strips

They say: Rremoves Blackheads, unclogs pores
Value for money: 5 strips in a box. Costs around £3 I think (but I cant find them online to check).
Extras: Peppermint oil
VERDICT: You may have found these different, however I found these USELESS!!  They took ages to dry, didnt really tick to the skin, never showed any blackheads.... Yes I know that they might just 'loosen' them, but you would think after 5 uses (every 3 days) that they would show something?!  Yes the price is better, but if you have stubborn blackheads- or any blackheads for that matter, then I would invest in a more robust product.  This is just my opinion and you might find them different, however I will never be repurchasing this item.




And there we go.  The bonus with each product is that they are individually wrapped, so they stay dry and easy to transport.


Do you use a blackhead strip?  Which ones would you recommend (or slate!)?
Ver
Vr

8 comments:

  1. I cant say I have ever used blackhead strips, but I would only really need them for the sides of my nose, those annoying ones you cant really see unless you smoosh your nose :p

    My boyfriend on the other had has a ridiculous amount of black heads! I will buy the boire ones for him I think based on your verdict :)

    THANKS FOR THIS REVIEW!! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers for this. I use T-zone and they seem to be in between these price-wise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got the Superdrug ones too and find them absolutely rubbish. Now you've done this review, I think I'll check out the Biore ones! Thanks lovely :).

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Nikki You're welcome! I hope they work as well for you as they did for me! LEt us know! :) x

    @Rebecca I will look out for the T-Zone ones. Do they work well? x

    @Dreams that Glitter Glad I wasn't the only ones to find them rubbish! I hope the Boire ones work as well for you too! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review - I've never tried blackhead strips before as wasn't sure whether they actually work but will probably check out the Biore ones now! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Superdrug ones worked really well for me..Biore used to work well but then stopped. I think my nose is cleaner now than it was as most don't seem to pick anything out but having said that, I wouldn't buy the Biore ones unless they were on 2 for 1 because they are costly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just use a pack from Wilkinson. You get 6 I think for only £1. They aren't amazing, but I can see those annoying black heads on the strip after. They still come back though! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Lilylipstick If they work well, they are great (as long as you dont leave thm on too long!) Good luck! x

    @Rhamnousia Th Boire ones are expensive, but I have found they are picking up less too, which is good. Less dirt, smaller pores I hope!! :) x

    ReplyDelete

Messages make me smile! Please share some smiles with me! :)

Other posts you might like.....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...