Thursday, 23 June 2011

Lusciously Light Boot Camp and Update

A couple of weeks back I was invited to a Boot Camp day at The Reebok Sports Club, Canary Wharf, London.  This Gym has been voted the best Gym in London, so I was really excited, but slightly apprehensive.  I'm not a great one for keeping fit, but know that it is essential, so I packed my gym kit and toddled off.

For those of you who don't yet know, I'm an Aussie Angel.  I have been using the 3 minutes miracle for about 10 years.  I love the way it smells, and I love what it does to my frazzled locks!

Our latest challenge was to embrace being lusciously light.  We could choose lighter hair, or lighter self.  I chose lighter self as there are several things I wanted to tackle in my life, but just had not had the kick up the backside that I needed.  I set my own goals to do with lightening the load on my mind and body through addressing food, mind clutter, exercise, physical clutter etc.  (If you want to read the story and challenge updates then here is the beginning post.  I have updates here and here and have been tweeting lots about what I have been doing!)

The Boot Camp day was set aside for the angels to meet up and do some gentle exercise, eat healthy food and support each other with our goals!


The first thing I saw was a giant climbing wall INSIDE the building!  I took some sneaky pictures while no-one was up the wall (I didn't want to get thrown out for taking pictures of someone's bum!), we then all changed and ate some fruit in the cafe before heading up to the studio.  It was great to see some familiar blogger friends, as well as meet some new ones!

Amanda of Gymanda was our host for the day.  She started off with a gentle warm up which involved some twists, jogs and jumps.  This got us nicely warmed up for the circuits!

We split into groups and spent a minute at each station (weights, jogging/star jumps, kick boxing, tricep dips and hula hooping).  After one circuit we partnered up and did some stretches and ball work.

A couple more repetitions of this and we were all gasping for water!  I was glad when we took a break for a healthy sandwich and fruit snack!

The second part of the day consisted of some yoga.  As some of you know, I have taken up yoga and stepped it up a bit for my challenge.  Amanda's yoga did push me a bit, but I enjoyed it.  I certainly felt energised afterwards and more healthy.

All too soon it was time to go.  I headed to the showers before catching the tube back with Catherine, Carlito86 and BrionyLou.
L-R Me, BrionyLou, Catherine, Carlito and Phibster! (Post Gym, healthy glow!)


I met so many lovely people that day, so sorry if I haven't mentioned you by name!


Since coming back from Boot Camp I have tried to incorporate some of the routines, although I haven't got a hula hoop.....yet!
Healthy and happy!



Thank you to Aussie and Amanda for a great day.  It certainly made me feel energetic and tackle my fitness in a new light!  If you want to read more then check out http://www.uncoveraussie.co.uk/



And now for my challenge update;

I am pleased to say that I have tackled all my goals.  Since embracing the challenge of Lusciously light mind, body and hair, I have notice lots of good things.  Here are my goals and how I met them.

Diet!
  • Look healthy for my size, not skeletal or chubby.
  • **I have maintained my weight, toned a little AND NOT PUT ON ANY FAT THROUGHOUT THE CHALLENGE!! WOOP!!
  • Eat at least 1 piece of fruit a day rather than lots of veg and juice.
  • ** I kept a fruit chart and ticked it off day by day. My skin is much better and I haven't had sugar crashes through drinking lots of fruit juice.
  • Drink 2 litres of water a day.
  • ** This was tough but I now carry a large drinks container round with me and sip it through the day.  Concentration is much better, and my skin is brighter.
  • No microwave fast food in plastic containers.  (Plastic= cancer causing dioxins cooked into foods & drink)
  • **I have cut out fast food and cook meals in bulk and freeze them for days when I am in a rush!
  • Find metal flask and kettle rather than plastic.  (Especially for in the car as water bottles which are left in the car/window warm the liquid inside and then boil cancer causing dioxins into the liquid). 
  • **I finally found a metal flask at my local camping store.  Well worth it-plus if you pop an ice cube or two in, it keeps the drink cool!
Declutter!
  • Empty the washing basket and see that it is all washed, cleaned, sorted and ironed (right down to the last item, including every hand wash item!  
  • **Due to lots of travel, this had mounted up,but I spent a day washing and then a day ironing. That was fun!  But I slept very, very well after all that physical work!
  • Empty suitcase from trips away!  
  • **As above, but I have got into the habit of keeping my dirty clothes in a bag, so they can be put in the washing basket straight away on return, leaving my case quicker to empty.
  • Clean out bathroom and use anti-bacterial wipes on computers and phones.
  • **Half a day and the cabinet was emptied of all clutter, out of date meds and half used items.  Give and make up benefited, as did the recycle bag!
  • Order stuff in a ways that the most used is easily accessible! Air duvet and pillows.
  • **I did a post or reorganising my dresser, makeup.  At the same time I left my duvet and pillows outside to air.  I also ran the hoover over them.  The next morning I woke up with clear breathing, and had a nice relaxed  time using all my products at my vanity table.  I know where every item is and it makes mornings relaxed (mostly!).
Exercise!
  • Replace lost* pedometer and aim to do 10'000 steps a day. (*fell off while training for a charity run/walk)
  • **As you will know from one of my other challenge posts, I bought one from Argos and aim to do 10'000 steps daily.  I love the challenge, plus I feel much more relaxed and full of life.  I recommend this if you find exercise hard.
  • Buy Yoga DVD and try to do 2 sessions a week (in class if poss, or on own)
  • **I bought a yoga DVD and I'm loving it.  It is an easy way of trying out a new sport, without feeling self conscious, although home does have a lot of distractions (phones ringing, postman ringing the door).  For this reason I love the classes. A complete retreat!
  • Try to do 1 Cardiovascular class a week and a power walk for a healthy heart.
  • **My 10'000 steps include some power walking to raise the heart rate.  I have also taken up some dance classes which are fun but tiring!  Another great way to exercise without 'exercising'!
  • Try to tone up tum, bum and thighs.
  • **I must be doing something right as I had a nice comment the other day!  I think they are more toned.
 Mind!

  • Tidy Space, Tidy Mind (especially sleeping space, which must be a sanctuary)
  • ** I have got into the habit of putting things away, no matter how tired.  I have been sleeping better and not finding mornings  such a chore!
  • Don't pick spots when stressed!
  • **This one is hard, as I do suffer with  'pick things' mode-mostly on my arms, back, neck and face.  My hormones affect my skin, but obviously picking it doesnt make it heal quicker.  I now verbally tell myself off if I start to pick my skin.
  • Go back to keeping a daily agenda of tasks for work AND personal life.
  • **I love my agenda!! I am even toying with getting a filofax!   I am sleeping better too as my mind isn't full of clutter.
  • Diary in 1 relaxing evening a week.
  • ** My relax nights have included a bath night with bubbles and wine, a movie night, girl pudding night, manicure, back massage (with hot stones!).  Spending time on you is essential.
  • Read a book or learn a bit of something new? (To be decided!)
  • ** I have read a complete trilogy of books and really enjoyed the escapism of something far from reality.  I read the Black Magician Trilogy by Trudi Canavan.  I haven't really read this genre before, but really enjoyed it.  I am now looking for my next read.

    So there is an update.  I am more energetic.  I have had people say how well I am looking, plus I am sleeping more peacefully.  My skin is looking less dull and I have found I like grapefruit in the mornings!  Plus I am getting excited about cooking and books.  

    The challenge doesn't stop here, but I might add some new goals but for now I am happy maintaining these and seeing where I am in a few months.


    If you set your mind to something, you CAN achieve it.  Little steps at a time, but eventually you look back and see how far you have come.


    Thanks for all your support with this life change :)

    How are your challenges going?  Please update me- plus if you have any good book suggestions or tips then share them below! How do you stay healthy or break habits like stop picking?
     

    1 comment:

    1. Really enjoyed this post, Emma. I must have missed it when you first posted it. Well done on winning the challenge, you really deserved it. It was lovely to see you yesterday. You looked lovely, as usual. Hope you got back safely xx

      ReplyDelete

    Messages make me smile! Please share some smiles with me! :)

    Other posts you might like.....

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...