Saturday, 24 September 2011

How I sanatize my products


You know the drill.  You use a lipstick/blusher/eye pencil chuck it into the chasm that is a handbag.  You then discover sed product later on in the day when you reach for your phone/purse/keys and find lipstick/blusher/eye pencil smeared all over them.


It is the nightmare scenario.  In my experience this normally happens with my most beloved products.

Now I am not one to waste.  Most things are salvageable.  I have been asked how I clean my products and here is a little 'How to' in pictures!

What you will need:
Surgical spirit (I think this is also known as rubbing alcohol)
Cotton wool rounds
Product you want to clean (Sleek Blush in Pomegranate)

N.B. Surgical Spirit is normally not safe to post, therefore you will have to visit a store.  Some stores keep it behind the counter due to the alcohol content.  Always keep in a cool place and out of reach of little hands!


Open the safety gap and pour a generous amount of surgical spirit onto the cotton round.





Use the cotton round to blot the powder product.  You will see the colour/consistency of the product change as the liquid saturates the product.

Leave to dry.


Et Voila.  One dry and very clean product.  Some people say that the product changes permanently with sanatising, but I have always found products to be the same after drying.  The alcohol evaporates after killing any bacteria on the product.  

In general it is good to do this to most products periodically to limit the transfer of bacteria from face-brush-product.  We all regualry (ahem) clean our brushes, but how many times do we dip our brush and then touch our face and then dip the brush again?


Cleaning lipsticks and wind up cream products in bullets (concealers, blush etc)

  1. Use a knife to scrape any 'debris' off (think fluff, dust etc!)
  2. Pour surgical spirit into a small container.  I generally use an old camera film pot (remember those from pre digital days?!)
  3.  Wind product up and dip into liquid.  Hold submerged for about 20 seconds and tap end gently to dislodge any air bubbles.  (Air bubbles would create an air barrier preventing the spirit from penetrating the product). 
  4. Lift product out of liquid and hold, allowing excess liquid to drip off.
  5. Stand on end and allow to dry without the lid on.  If you are impatient you can always grab a tissue and gently blot.  It is important to air the product though or you will trap the evaporating alcohol vapours in the lid and these will then infuse with the product (not so nice to smell!)  Don't fret though, it wont get you drunk!

*If product is really mashed, I scoop it out and put in a glass jar (E.g. old mac concealer pot).


How to clean cream/gel products in a pot.

  1.  Open jar and place lid upside down next to product.
  2. Pour surgical spirit directly into both.
  3.  Leave to work magic for 20 seconds.
  4.  Dispose of surgical spirit and leave product to air for a while.
  5.  Wipe inside of lid with a clean tissue.





Remember when disposing of surgical spirit, run the tap and rinse away with running water.  You dont want the alcohol sitting in and around your sink!





Hope that helped you!  How do you clean your makeup products?  Do you have any product packaging failure stories?


P.s. Don't forget my Witch concealer giveaway AND Chanel eyeshadow giveaway.  Just click the link at the top of the page!



11 comments:

  1. Ooh, thanks very much for this. I had no idea you could use surgical spirit on make up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. G@Plus Size Shopaholic You're welcome. Glad it helps xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Thank you so much for sharing - I never knew this information! Totally saving this post so that when this happens to me I know what to do!
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks a lot for this post.. U know that it has never crossed my mind to sanatize the products?? Cleaning brushes sure but that?? You are completely right though, I'm going to do it right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for such a useful post. My main issue is cheap lipsticks with poor lids!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Mary and Dyer You're welcome. Hope it helps! xx

    @Peniam It does get overlooked quite a lot but worth doing periodically along with throwing out old products past their use by date xx

    @Gaelle Yes although I have had some high end products crack, which then lets dust in xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fab post, I'm going to start using surgical spirit x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sadie, glad you found it useful! Thanks for the comment xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. great tips thanks :D

    www.missmathful.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I worked at a makeup counter every night I used to spray alcohol all over the blush and eyeshadows displays lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. @MissMathful You're welcome xx

    @Alpha Blonde I would do that too! Sound people just stick their fingers in makeup and I always get really paranoid at counters when they try to apply things on me. I don't want to get ill!!! xx

    ReplyDelete

Messages make me smile! Please share some smiles with me! :)

Other posts you might like.....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...