Wednesday, 25 January 2012

Detox Health: Slendertone Abs Challenge

As we get older we are all on a quest to look younger.  It's all to easy to forget that slathering on anti-ageing cream isn't the only thing we can do to help stop the sagging and wrinkling.  All to often what is on the outside is a reflection of what is on the inside.  Muscles- and no I'm not talking the edible foodie ones!
I want that tummy!!

Muscles help us move, but also hold the skin in place.  Keeping them toned and active will not only boost your general health (improved circulation, immunity, function) but also help slow everything from moving south!

I was invited to take part in the Slendertone Christmas Abs Challenge, and being a health conscious kinda girl I said yes (that and I wanted to see how it feels to be 'electrocuted' safely and, lets face it, it sounds like exercise without the work.  Perfect!).  My goals were simple: firm up the muscles to help improve general function and posture.  Unfortunately by the time my machine arrived and my life settled down it was a little too late to get 30 days use before Christmas.  Therefore I am unable to comment on the Christmas Challenge, but I thought I would still share this little machine with you and explain how it works/ how it has worked for me.

Comes complete with the first set of pads.
Slenderotne comes complete- so you simply assemble the charger, charge for three hours, stick the pads down and go!  Mine seemed to have two chargers- I'm not sure if it is supposed to!!  It comes with 100 setting levels, as well as 10 pre-programmed functions.

How it works
The battery sends tiny electrical pulses (EMS)` through the pads (which are in contact with your skin).  These pulses are the same frequency as the bodies natural bio-circuitry and cause the muscles to gently tense and release.  If it gets too strenuous at any point then you can manually lower the levels- but the program is designed to build you up gently rather than chuck you in at the deep-end... ( I am suddenly getting visions of the Big Brother tasks involving them wearing those shiny suits which electrocuted them when someone broke the rules..... It's not like that!! See Slendertone's video HERE)

Charger and egg sized controller.  Very discreet!

These sorts of machines have been used by physiotherapists to aid recovery after a patients has had an operation or suffered trauma.  The fact that the general public can now purchase them at a generally affordable price is great.  This means you can tone your muscles while getting on with our life- not everyone has the time or funds to go to a gym to tone up- this allows you to tone while watching tv/washing up- even sat at your desk if you can stand fit the belt under your top!

PROS
Usable anywhere (well mostly).
Quiet.
Can aid recovery after an injury / childbirth by strengthening muscles gently.
Pre-programmed although you can adjust the level to suit.
Small and light weight- easy to take on holiday!
Cheaper in the long run when compared to gym membership if used purely for toning.
Replacement pads cost as much as a few bars of chocolate- a fair trade off!
Can also be used round your thigh or arm!

CONS
Pads need regular routine replacement as they loose contact with your skin over time.
Does not replace all aspects of exercise- cardio vascular is still needed.
Can be an initially expensive at the beginning.
Can't really share a belt with someone as the pads have to be set for your body. 
Pads can be cold on the skin at first which is a downside in winter!! 
Does not make you give up chocolate and other naughty foods!
Other people will try and steal it off you!


My verdict
Well, it doesn't really feel like electrocution- I actually found it felt really nice and relaxing in some ways.  To me, it felt more like a very tiny buzz vibration that gradually pushed into the body and then relaxed.  It was not painful and my limit has upped with usage.  I am currently over half way through the 100 levels and hope to keep stretching my limits.  I was researching these before I was offered one, so this came at the right time!  I have noticed my abdominal muscles are more toned, defined and a bit stronger, and this has in turn affected my posture and confidence.  I do exercise regularly and Slendertone really compliments my routine.  I also liked using this in the comfort of my own home, rather than having to go to a gym during the long, dark winter nights.

Slendertone makes belts for men and women (you just place the pads where is best for you).  They also make other toning gadgets.  Prices start from £49.99 and you can view the full range Here).  I think the range is currently on offer at some places so worth looking around.  Look fantastic have the belt for £99 including free delivery!  The face Slendertone looks very interesting- if a little space aged!

Do you have one of these machines?  Would you consider getting a slendertone?  How do you stay toned and healthy?  Are you bothered about toning muscles?


Disclaimer: I was sent this to trial and, as normal, this post is my own, honest opinion.  I am under no obligation to share any samples with you and only choose to share the things I feel are worthy of sharing.

3 comments:

  1. I've awarded you the versatile blogger award. I'm excited to see what else you will post in the future!

    Check it out here www.whenflowersfall.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sam- I'll have a lookie now! Thats so sweet! xx

      Delete
  2. Hello there, I do think your blog could possibly be having browser compatibility issues.
    Whenever I take a look at your site in Safari, it looks fine however, when opening in I.
    E., it has some overlapping issues. I just wanted to give
    you a quick heads up! Aside from that, great site!


    Feel free to visit my weblog ... womens gucci
    sunglasses sale []

    ReplyDelete

Messages make me smile! Please share some smiles with me! :)

Other posts you might like.....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...