Saturday, 4 February 2012

The best winter warm me up breakfast?

The UK hit -10 degrees last night- needless to say it was freezing this morning.  I had to bribe myself to get out from under the duvet by resolving to make bacon and scotch pancakes.  This is my first time at cooking this dish.  I ate it for the first time last year.  After mentioning I was making them on twitter and posting a picture, I received quite a few comments, so here is the recipe I used :)

Preparation time: 2 minutes
Cooking time: (each around 1 minute, collectively around 10 minutes)

You'll need:
Bacon (I used unsmoked back bacon and trim the rinds)
1 egg
1/4 pint of milk
Pinch of salt
120g Self Raising Flour
30g caster sugar

Butter for pan
Maple syrup (optional)

Whisk the egg and milk together, then add flour (sift if needed), sugar and salt.  Turn on heat under pan an put a little butter in the bottom.  Turn on grill and leave bacon to cook.

Once pan is hot enough, spoon a little of the mixture into a round.  Once the mixture starts bubbling, use a spatula/slice to flip it over.  after about 10 seconds this side should be cooked.  Put some kitchen roll on a plate and put the bacon/pancakes on as cooked.  I always to this to take off any excess fat.

Eat with maple syrup as desired.  I normally have a nice glass of orange juice to break down the grease. 

Perfect warm brunch breakfast!  Quick to make and a departure from a full English or porridge, but just as warm!  You can pre-make the batter and store in the fridge overnight to speed up things in the morning.


Have you tried this dish?  What is your favourite hot breakfast for cold mornings?  What breakfast foods do you recommend for a good, healthy, energetic start to the day!

This week on the blog, and OPI giveaway, plus sparkly gold items from MAC, Urban Decay, Michael Kors and much more!  And don't forget to see if you won a Christmas prize! 

11 comments:

  1. Oh god I want! I love sweet pancakes, buttered toast or hashbrowns as a nice hot breakfast. Though a bacon sarnie or porridge with syrup can work for me too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo Hash browns are nice- but only if cooked properly! I dont like them cakes in oil and soggy!! xx

      Delete
  2. that looks so good! definitely stealing this recipe :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it, and let me know how you get on!! xx

      Delete
  3. Poland (at least my hometown) hit -23 last night... I don't even want to go out;(
    I love pancakes but despite the fact that they're quick and easy to prepare I just can't get myself to make them for breakfast... I usually have oatmeal + coffee + tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouch!! minus 23! I dont blame you! I only have cooked stuff if I have time- or a lazy morning :) xx

      Delete
  4. My favorite hot breakfast is hot cocoa and croissants or just a toasted cheese sandwich (aka grilled cheese.) I'm very simple!

    I'm not really a "breakfast" person. My breakfast is at 3 or 4 PM because I normally wake up between 1-3 PM! That and breakfast really messes with my digestive system (I don't know what it is, but it doesn't work well with my system. Used to, but not anymore.) I'm the lunch, dinner, snack, midnight munchies person. I'm ESPECIALLY the midnight munchies person.

    -10C is nothing, woman. That is normal winter weather here. When you can do -41F with wind chills that bring it down to below -52C, call me. That's when they cancel school here. Not a degree before. Just to think, I used to wait for the school bus in that. Brrrrr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Croissants, yum- especially with strawberry jam :) I didnt used to be able to stomach breakfast, does make you want to eat later if you miss it though!

      -41 ouch!!! That is horrible! We complain a bit in the UK just because it is not normal at all. The lowest we normally get is -2 which is why everything stops as it is rare to get snow and so we are just not prepared at all. 360 days of normal temps and no snow versus 5 days of snow/ice/ sub zero- its just not worth investing in snow gear! Poor you! xx

      Delete
    2. Well, yea, it's wicked evil! I think I got those numbers wrong. Math is my worst subject. We get to -35 Fahrenheit here with wind chill. I should have used a converter. (Bad Katie.) Yea, because now I get -37 on a converter. Ha ha! Still cold.

      This year has been really mild. We haven't gotten in the negatives (unusual.) We haven't even hit 0 degrees Fahrenheit. Craaaaaazy. It was, dare I say it, half-way WARM on my birthday. That never happens. It's usually the coldest day of the year on my birthday! Being born on January 31st has its drawbacks!

      Delete
  5. YUM!!

    Marie x

    marieeeloves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. hmmm looks amazing :D

    www.missmathful.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Messages make me smile! Please share some smiles with me! :)

Other posts you might like.....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...