Monday, 6 February 2012

Magical 'wonder-water' 4711 cologne... intrigued?

When I was 14 I went on a school trip to France.  We caught the ferry from Dover to Calais, and did what every school girl with a taste of freedom would do.... hit duty free!!  (I still do that now, it hasn't lost it's sparkle)!  I remember smelling and discussing the fragrances with a teacher and this, my friends, is where I learn about 4711.  It has magical properties!
Pretty gold and turquoise packaging!


Firstly this Eau de Cologne smells like a combination of citrus, lavender, rosemary and eucalyptus.  It's a little odd because Eucaplytus isn't in there- it contains;
Top notes: orange, peach, lemon, bergamot and basil.
Middle notes: cyclamen, lily, melon, jasmine and rose.
Base notes: patchouli, tahitian vetiver, musk, cedar, sandalwood and oakmoss. 

Overall it smells very fresh and zingy- like crisp white sheets, streaming sunlight, fresh grass, blue sky, bird song, fresh orange trees and much more.  A sort of spring, summer and autumn all rolled into one!  As you'd expect from the name, 4711 Eau de Cologne is a German manufactured scent, which has an  amazing heritage dating back the the 18th Century.  Years of history have turned it into a cultural timeless wonder- did you know it is mentioned in the book 'Breakfast at Tiffany's'?
Vintage 'watch' bottle, size of a pocket watch!

I love vintage things, so for  me, the gorgeous, opulent bottle caught my eye.  It doesn't seem to look like the design has changed since the 18th Century!  (I sort of imagine a Keira Knightly figure using this when she is dressed up as 18th Century Duchesses in period dramas!)

There are three things I love about this scent.  The vintage bottle, the smell, and the magical properties!  My french teacher told me that this is the perfect scent for travel because it eases headaches and tiredness.  It is known as the 'wonder-water' because this scent refreshes and relieves tension.  I love applying it to my pulse points or the back of my neck if taking long journeys.  I believe (but do check current guidelines) that the small 'pocket watch' bottle (25ml) is allowed on aeroplanes, but if not then you can always take on one these 4711 moist individually wrapped tissues.  I bought these for the pricey sum of £1.30 (on offer!) many years ago- that's 13p per tissue!!  Perfect for handbag/carry on luggage!
Bargain tissues!

That is the other thing I love about this fragrance.  It is affordable.  You can pick it up from £4 for the Eau de Cologne.  There is also a 4711 stick, tissues, body spray, lotion, talc, shower gel and Cologne.  Absolutely worth a look.  You can see a good selection at Boot.com (link!), or Gemsmaquillage told me that she bought hers from Cheap Smells (link!)  I have managed to find some of the more obscure items on Urban Retreat (link!) I have purchase mine from Murray's Boots and Duty Free.  If you are a vintage geek then there are some lovely vintage bottles on Ebay (link!)
Golden ticket?

I was excited to read on Beautymouth that 4711 is sponsoring Matthew Williamson at London Fashion Week 2012 so expect to see a bit more of this unisex scent around this year!

Do scents remind you of places?  Do you use 4711?  Do you like vintage items?  How do you get rid of headaches and revive yourself on a long journey?

P.s. Don't forget my OPI giveaway, and to check to see if you won a prize! Also a huge thank you for all the loevly comments recently.  It really means a lot.

Disclaimer: Products and views are all mine, not PR samples!

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It is- check it out if you can :) Thanks Sandra xx

      Delete
  2. not sure why i like the smell of bergamot,, i just know that i do. also... lavender oil came in very useful when i was driving round europe a few years ago. i know lavender is for relaxation, but had the opposite effect while driving. most refreshing. nice article.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting- lavender is supposed to relax you- maybe it relaxed the sleepy side of your brain and let your alert side take over? ! Thanks so much :)

      Delete
  3. I seen this on Gemma's blog or video not long ago and was so intrigued by it. Im thinking I should invest now before everyone catches on and the prices rocket!xxx

    ReplyDelete

Messages make me smile! Please share some smiles with me! :)

Other posts you might like.....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...