Tuesday, 28 February 2012

That's a Fair Trade! Fairtrade Fortnight!

Yesterday marked the start of Fairtrade Fortnight!  Think it's all chocolate and daggy woven things? Think again!  Fairtrade means that all the contributors get a fair cut of the profits rather than the original producers/produce sellers being exploited for mere pennies a week.  There are many guilty companies and I try to avoid shopping with notorious brands because of it.  However sadly in this society there are so many unethical companies that it is ultimately really hard to know every aspect of the products history.  Rather than moan about those who are bad, today I thought I would bring you some of my favorite FAIRTRADE products and companies.  I hope that you will enjoy this post and perhaps thinking about supporting FAIRTRADE in the future!

Two fairtrade products- more to follow!


Dr Bronner's Magic 18-1 Magic Soap.  Loved by Gwyneth Paltrow, Natalie Portman and Bobbi Brown.  I love this stuff and have previously posted about it here.  It's fairtrade, organic and comes in many scents Lavender, tea tree, peppermint to name a few.  As if that wasn't enough this soap has 18 uses including washing body, teeth, hair, pets and cars- the perfect space saving travel/handbag product.  Liquid soap prices start from £5.49 on Asos or soap bars/travel soap available form around £1.69.  Also available in Waitrose!


Tous H2O Perfume.  A recent addition to my perfume collection.  The bottle and packaging are made from recycled material, and the profits go to Oxfam to help them give clean water facilities to those who need it.  The scent is lovely.  It's citrus, fresh and light  Very spring/summer appropriate.  Plus how sweet is the water drop inspired bottle?!  You can purchase this scent from Debenhams (prices start from £21.60 which is a bargain link), Boots ( £26 and up Link)
How cute is the dinky travel bottle!


Co-op Chocolate.  I'm off chocolate for lent, but if you are partial to the odd bite then all Co-op's own range of chocolate is fairtrade.  If you aren't near the co-op then you can always pick up Divine chocolate from Oxfam or other retailers!   While we are on the subject food and drink I noticed the co-op website has a great section of fairtrade items (fruit, chocolate, flapjacks- even wine!!).  Worth a look!  Food tastes all the sweeter for knowing that you are helping people!  Just look for the fairtrade symbol.
Just look out for this symbol.



Thanks to a recommendation on twitter I found this gorgeous range of fairtrade jewellery and accessories at Kazuri beads.  These bead necklaces are made out of ceramic beads.  Kazuri hand make all their items in Kenya and they are not a huge drain on the wallet either.  The bonus is that you are unlikely to meet another person wearing the same jewelery- unlike a high street alternative!  www.kazuribeads.co.uk also sell necklaces made out of Taguabella from Columbia, seeds that are known as 'vegetable ivory' due to their strong properties.  I have a necklace made out of these from a different company and I LOVE it.  If you want to read more about this company and their ethics then click this link!






 Fairtrade Fortnight runs from February 27th to March 11th. I will be featuring some more companies (and of course beauty brands!) over the next two weeks so keep your eyes peeled!


Do you think  Fairtrade is a good or bad thing?  Can you recommend any Fairtrade brands?

(P.s. Dont forget to enter my Mac Giveaway!)
Disclaimer: Dr Bronner's and Tous were PR samples, but this has not affected my thoughts in any way.

6 comments:

  1. Love the necklace! :D

    Jackie
    http://fortuneandthebrave.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think fairtrade is a great idea as long as it is truly helping someone. The only company I know is The Body Shop and some chocolate brands. I'll check ASOS for the Magic Soap for sure. Thanks for this post :D
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ria, I forgot about the body shop! Asos have 29% off today with the code LEAPDAY10 x

      Delete
  3. While I agree with the principle of paying producers a fair slice, there is an arguement that fairtrade artificially raises prices, causing an economic incentive to greater production. For example, fairtrade cocoa and coffee is, at times, responsible for deforestation and damage to the ecosystems because people are damaging areas in order to grow it, spurred on by higher price signals.

    This makes me sound like a particular sort of jackass, but I guess what I'm saying is that people should be careful to look for sustainable production, as well as fairly traded, especially when it comes to food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lodz, completely understand and agree with your point. Sustainable produce is key- I think brands like AVEDA really look at protecting the earth and preserving it. Not too sure about food, but I know a few brands that keep a close check on it and wont buy ingredients from unethical sources. It's tough though! x

      Delete

Messages make me smile! Please share some smiles with me! :)

Other posts you might like.....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...