Wednesday, 14 November 2012

OPI Orly Rimmel Nail polish dupe alert!

While browsing my nail polish collection in my state cold induced boredom, I discovered something.  I have lots of dark plum shades of nail polish.. I appear to have been drawn to purchase the same colour multiple times.  Shopper's memory block.  Introducing OPI Lincoln Park After Dark, Orly Naughty or Nice and Rimmel Black Cherries.




They are all seemingly the same colour, though quality is a little different.  And price.  So to save you guys making the same mistake I thought I'd share my triple purchase.
Orly, Rimmel, OPI L-R.  Top No flash, flash.

Orly Naughty or Nice  Mini mani 5.3ml £5 from Boots or £6.96 for full sized 18ml from this ebay seller.  Applies well, dries fairly quickly, free from nasty chemicals.  £0.39 per ml for 18ml bottle.  5.3ml bottle is more but I think currently on a 3 for 2 deal!

Rimmel Lasting Finish 193 Black Cherries £2.99 for 8ml from Boots (Currently on buy 1 get 1 half price).  Not sure about ingredients as the bottle is blank.  Thinner than the other two polishes so need a few coats.  £0.37 per ml

My photo minus flash didnt come out, but you can see the swatches above.
OPI Lincoln Park After Dark £11 for 15ml from Look Fantastic although I bought mine from Sally beauty in store.  Fairly thick, free from chemicals. £0.73 per ml


So, no surprise that the OPI is the most expensive.  It's hard to find in the UK but my recommendations are salons, ebay, Lena White (link although the picture shows a very strange coloured bottle! How is that the same polish as mine?!).  I think it is a lot cheaper in the US.  Rimmel and Orly are available more regularly in the high street in the UK, and I would ordinarily say you get what you pay for, but when I broke it down to price per ml, I realised that the prices weren't that different, yet Orly is the one I recommend.  The formulation is good, it dries in an acceptable time, the ingredients are on the bottle- so why pay nearly double for this colour from OPI?

I still like OPI (and have a number of polishes by them).  I like the unusual mixes and colours, though I would think again about buying regular colours from them at full price!

I hope this post has been useful to those of you who lust over OPI Lincoln Park After Dark- just nip to boots.

Note to self: Don't buy any more dark wine/purple polishes.

Do you have any dupe alerts for polishes?  Where do you buy yours from?  Does anyone else buy things, get home and realise it is exactly the same as what you already have?

4 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to try this OPI shade, shall look at the cheaper alternative :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do! The OPi one is nice but Orly or Rimmel are equally as good, in different ways (though Id plump for the Orly one)! Thanks for the comment :) xx

      Delete
  2. The Orly and the Rimmel look more like full on dupes to me and the OPI is more of an older sister. The OPI is slightly darker and a drop redder, looking at the swatches. *is being very picky as I have x-ray eyes and does nail swatches on my Tumblr*

    It's like saying Primrose Hill Picnic (butterLONDON) and Kiss My Tulips (OPI) are dupes and I've done that mani: http://kateandzena.tumblr.com/post/32018109276/a-massively-requested-nail-art-ombre-nails

    Or Blagger, Mesmerize and Ogre-the-Blue (butterLONDON, Essie, and OPI, in that order.) I should do that mani. They aren't dupes either....I need to write a list of dupe nails I need to do. I have a few.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katie, thanks so much for the links, they look great! It's always good to find cheaper dupes, and not but several identical colours! Hope you are well x

      Delete

Messages make me smile! Please share some smiles with me! :)

Other posts you might like.....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...