Friday, 8 November 2013

How to wake up on cold dark mornings. (Lumie light Review)

I dislike getting up in the dark.  There is somethings VERY unnatural about getting up before the sun does.  Getting out of bed in the dark falls into the same category as 'washing my makeup brushes', and 'telephoning people'.  These are things I know I have to do, I will feel better once these actions are done, but I still dislike them.

When I thought about it, there are three things I dislike about getting up in the dark.
  1. The fact it is cold.  My bed is warm and I want to stay in it as long as possible.
  2. The fact it is dark.  An alarm suddenly starts beeping away and you are supposed to spring out of bed, fresh as a daisy.
  3. The fact I am tired.  MY body tells me I should be asleep.  In my nest, hibernating.
It looks liek something the Jetsons (link) would have.
Well, I wont say all my gripes are solved, but they have got ALOT better due to the purchase of a Lumie Light.  (Sadly emigrating for the winter was not an option!)  It is an alarm clock that simulates sunrise (i.e. lights up slowly for 30 minutes before your alarm time).  This means your body is able to gently wake up meaning that you arent pulled out of deep sleep when your alarm goes off.  (Waking up when you are in deep sleep will generally leave you feeling very groggy, disorientated and tired).

Don't get me wrong, I still feel tired but its not heavily exhausted which is what I was feeling before using the Lumie light.  I also love waking up in the bright light and then turning on the bedroom light, rather than waking up in the dark and having to will myself to turn on (and adjust to) a bright 60W lightbulb on one sudden click.


I don't think this guy has slept yet.  His hair is too tidy!  See the pretty sunrise?
I have the lumie bodyclock starter 30 light (link), which is the baby of the group.  Recommended for suffers of SAD and endorsed by Good Housekeeping magazine, Starter 30 simulates sunrise and sunset.  It can be used as a light, has a dimmer for the clock face and alarm noise (which I dont use as I prefer the music on my phone).  I believe the other 3 models (Go, Active and Elite) have these features but with more variations (slower sunrises, different alarm sounds, MP3 options, radio, 7 day programming etc).  I find it easy to set up and use.

The starter model retails for £59.99 new which is an investment, however I have not regretted it.  I found these on Boots recently with a 10% discount (link) making it more affordable (and with the added bonus of tonnes of Boots points.  If you are thinking of purchasing one of these for yourself and want to save a few pennies then I'd suggest looking this ebay link as I have seen them go for £20, or check out the lumie website (link) for refurbished models with a discount.  If you are very unsure then Lumie offer a 30 day trial so you can 'try before you buy'.  Worth a look if you hate the dark, dreary mornings and struggle to wake up.

So this deals with the dark issue, and most of the tiredness.  Im not sure I can tackle the cold in the same way but let me know if you have any ideas!

How do you wake up in the mornings?  Have you tried a light clock?  If you have any suggestions or questions, just leave a comment below.

Disclaimer: Bought with my own money.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Messages make me smile! Please share some smiles with me! :)

Other posts you might like.....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...