Saturday, 20 September 2014

The One with the Pixi Glow Tonic, toner and Friends.

I have just repurchased Pixi's cult 'Glow Tonic' for the umpteenth time, and thought I would review it on the blog.  It's a gentle acid toner that I generally used twice a day, and it has made a difference to my skin.  That's why I repurchased it.
Pixi Glow Tonic all neatly lined up at their store in London

Before I continue, I know there hasn't been much happening on this blog for a while- but there has been a lot going on behind the scenes.  Lots of purchases, events, meetings...  I hadn't quite realised how time had flown by- but I will try to resume a steady stream of posts...  I'm still on twitter (@computergirl200) and instagram (@computergirl200) if you want to see a bit more of my life and thoughts :)

So back to the Glow Tonic!  Let me start by saying that this is called a toner but it is not a) the kind of spray/liquid toner generally used in the 80s/90s that helped remove your heavy cleanser*, or b) the stuff that you put in your printer and/or photocopier (although I might have purchased more if Phoebe had tried to sell it to me- see video below).




What does it do?
Historically toner was used to help remove cleanser residue, and prepare the skin for moisturiser.  Cleansers are a bit more developed these days i.e. easier to remove, so the toner step is slightly redundant (although facial sprays do have a place in their own right- see these posts).  The 'toner' step still exists in my skincare routine, only the product purpose has changed.  I use this step to apply an 'acid toner' to my face, neck and decolletage.  If this sounds like something that happens to baddies in Batman then don't worry- completely different sorts of acid.  Generally skincare uses gentle acids (some derived from natural sources like fruit) to breakdown and remove dead skin cells.  This exfoliation promotes new cell growth, and helps remove debris that might create blackheads/clogged pores in the future.
My Pixi Glow Tonic backup stash.  The one on the right one is almost empty!

Each acid toner has a different strength so it is important to read the label carefully, including if you need to use an additional SPF product during the day.

How I use it.  
I pour some onto a cotton pad and then sweep this over my face- starting with my problem areas first so they get the most product.  I start with my chin, then proceed round the mouth, nose, forehead and temples.  I then work the pad into the side of my nose and take it across my cheeks to my ear, before repeating the other side.  Lastly I sweep the neck and decolletage.  Generally the cotton shows up dirt, so I keep an eye on it after each sweep and depending on the day I may use 1 or 2 double sided pads.  I really appreciate that they designed the bottle with a small opening so I don't over pour the product onto my cotton pads.
Sensible packaging.  Thank you Petra at Pixi!

I leave the product to settle and dry before applying day cream or night serum.  A couple of nights a week I will replace Pixi Glow Tonic with a stronger acid treatment such as Alpha H.


Ingredients.
Pixi Glow tonic is very mild, created by hand and all natural.  It has a faint smell of Aloe Vera, Ginseng and Witch Hazel, which are all present in the ingredients.  Aloe soothes, Witch Hazel treats inflammation and Ginseng revitalizes.  It is alcohol free, which means I don't find it as drying and stripping some other toners I have tried.
Directions and Ingredients.

The full ingredients list: Deionized water, Aloe Vera, Witch Hazel, Horse Chestnut Extracts, Propylene Glycol, Glycolic Acid and Ammonium Glycolate, Hexylene Glycol, Glucose, Fructose, Sucrose, Urea Dextrin, Alanine, Glutamic Acid, Hexylnicotinate, Ginseng Extract, Potassium Alum, Diazolidinyl Urea, Biotin, pixi Natural Fragrant Oil.
Active ingredients: Glycolic Acid-5%, partially neutralized by Ammonium Hydroxide.



  
Recommend and Repurchase?
Using an acid toner in my routine has really helped my skin- it is less congested, my pores are smaller and I don't look so 'ashy' in complexion.  There are other products available but for the moment Pixi Glow is my daily staple.  1 bottle normally lasts me 8-10 months so it is well worth the £18 price tag (recent small price rise!).  I have repurchased this several times.  It's been beneficial for my skin, though if you have sensitive skin I recommend a patch test first.  Don't forget to moisturise after!
This is before application!

Find it..
Online in the UK and USA at Pixi (link) or you can visit their store at Carnaby Street (22 A Foubert's Place- the staff are friendly, and the store is lovely to visit).  If they are out of stock then it is worth popping round the corner to Liberty's (link) as they now stock the product.  In fact just go into Liberty's anyway, the beauty hall is a great place to get lost in.

Do you use an exfoliating acid in your routine?  Have you tried Pixi products?

Thank you for reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Messages make me smile! Please share some smiles with me! :)

Other posts you might like.....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...